Snowmobile Safety Classes
Each year there are two snowmobile safety classes put on at the Benzie/Manistee snowbirds snowmobile club. The club is located at 14121 Industrial Drive in Kaleva, Michigan in Manistee County. The Manistee County Sheriff’s Office snowmobile division teaches the law enforcement section of this class. The classes are always the first Saturday in December and the second Saturday in January. For more information, call our snowmobile division at 231-723-8393, ext. 23.
Restrictions on Youthful Operations
A person who is at least 12 but less than 17 years of age:
May operate a snowmobile if they have a valid snowmobile safety certificate in their immediate possession, or are under the direct supervision of a person 21 years of age or older.
Tips for Not Getting Stopped on the Trails
- Each rider on the snowmobile must have a Department of Transportation approved helmet.
- A valid snowmobile registration decal on each side of the forward half of the cowl above the footwell.
- The trail permit sticker permanently affixed to the forward half of the snowmobile directly above or below the headlight.
- All snowmobiles must display a lighted headlight and taillight at all times during operation.
- Stay on marked trails and do not trespass.
The three contributing factors present in nearly all fatal snowmobile accidents are:
- Alcohol (Don’t drink and drive)
- Speed (Slow down)
- Thin Ice (Stay off the ice unless your sure it’s safe)